XML Configuration BOF at IETF54 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:56:46 -0400
From: Margaret Wasserman <mrw@windriver.com>
To: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: XML Configuration BOF at IETF54

There will be a BOF on the subject of XML network configuration held
at IETF54 in Yokohama.  A more detailed description is attached below.

Margaret

  XML Configuration BOF [xmlconf]
  ===============================

  Chair: Margaret Wasserman <mrw@windriver.com>

  There is significant interest in the use of XML-based technologies
  to manage and configure IP-based networks and networking equipment.
  This BOF will discuss the high-level requirements for a network
  configuration mechanism, and will explore how the existing
  proprietary and standards-based XML technologies, such SOAP, WBEM
  and SyncML, could be used to meet those requirements.  Based on
  that discussion, we will determine whether we should pursue any
  IETF work in this area.

  Agenda:

           - Goals for and XML Configuration Protocol
           - Requirements for Network Configuration
                   - Quick presentation of strawman
                   - Discussion
           - Existing Technologies
                   - Overview Presentation
                           - Proprietary Mechanisms
                           - SOAP
                           - WBEM
                           - SyncML
                   - Applicability to requirements
           - Discuss Need for IETF Work

  We expect to have two drafts available by the -00 cut-off date that
  attendees should read before the meeting.  One will provide a survey
  of existing XML management technologies, and the other will serve
  as a strawman for the requirements discussion.