SDPng

From: Rob Lanphier <robla@real.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:09:34 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: "public-ietf-w3c@w3.org" <public-ietf-w3c@w3.org>
cc: "dku@tzi.uni-bremen.de" <dku@tzi.uni-bremen.de>, "jo@tzi.uni-bremen.de" <jo@tzi.uni-bremen.de>, "cabo@tzi.org" <cabo@tzi.org>

Hi all,

I haven't seen much traffic on this list, so I guess I generate some.  :)

The IETF MMUSIC working group is working on a proposal for "Session
Description and Capability Negotiation" (SDPng), an XML-based description
format for RTP streams.  The current draft is here:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdpng-04.txt

It's a proposed replacement for the not-so-aptly-named "Session
Description Protocol"  (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2327.txt) ("Protocol"
being a bit of a misnomer), which performs the same function, but has a
rather antiquated syntax that is rather unintuitive, and would likely
become unmanagable if extended too far.  (However, it's doing the job, and
like IPv4, may live well beyond anyone's expectations).

Members of the W3C SYMM working group have been keeping track on this, and
provided input early on in the process.  There was work in the SYMM
working group along a similar vein:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-smil-boston-20000622/streaming-media-object.html

This work was discontinued, though, due to lack of time and lack of
implementation interest.  (Note, there's an updated [and much improved]
version of this in W3C member-only space that never got published).

So, that's the background.  I don't think there's anything emminently
actionable, other than a review of the latest SDPng draft by interested
parties.  Just offering this as a heads-up of a possible coordination
issue.

Rob
--
Rob Lanphier, Program Manager -- Interoperability, RealNetworks
http://realnetworks.com http://rtsp.org http://interop.real.com