Re: NULL strings... necessary?

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 17:52:15 +0900
To: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no>, public-ietf-collation@w3.org

XML Schema allows instances to distinguish between null values and
empty values. XQuery and XSLT are most probably using this.
Their WGs were in meetings the past week; I hope we'll hear
from some experts in the comming week.

Regards,    Martin.

At 21:38 05/05/25, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

 >Hi,
 >
 >does any of you have a real example where NULL/NIL strings occur and need
to be sorted differently than empty strings?

 >I know one (IMAP SORT HEADER BLAH), but it's a little contrived. Also I
suspect that if an IMAP client issues SORT SUBJECT, the need to
differentiate between empty-string subject and no subject is less than
overwhelming.