NULL strings... necessary?

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:38:08 +0200
To: public-ietf-collation@w3.org

Hi,

does any of you have a real example where NULL/NIL strings occur and
need to be sorted differently than empty strings?

I know one (IMAP SORT HEADER BLAH), but it's a little contrived. Also I
suspect that if an IMAP client issues SORT SUBJECT, the need to
differentiate between empty-string subject and no subject is less than
overwhelming.

I'd like to have a better example to justify the feature.

Arnt