Smart Cards on the Web

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:19:38 +0200
To: public-identity@w3.org
The eternal smart card issue seems to be popping up again...
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto/2012Jun/0043.html

Practically all of the stuff I'm advocating has already (conceptually)
been done by other people, the #1 problem is that integration of all those
disparate components so far has been a "Business Model" which is also a reason
why it really only works satisfactory if you buy everything from a single source.

In particular smart cards have been plagued by this phenomena.  Marrying
this technology (not necessarily the form factor...) to the web is IMO a
prerequisite for progress in the payment sector.

However, currently TCG, IETF, OASIS, W3C and GlobalPlatform in various ways
have explicitly or implicitly made this out of scope.

Personally, I'm convinced that EMV was the last (ever) major client-side
"payment gizmo" developed by the financial industry; the future in client-
side payment *technology* (not to be confused with payment *networks*),
belongs to the client-platform vendors and BYOD.

Regards,
Anders