Re: difference in semantics of lang attribute between XML and HTML

At Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:44:01 -0800,
Kurosaka, Teruhiko <Teruhiko.Kurosaka@iona.com> wrote:

> But in XML, the lang attribute provides a mutually
> exclusive, choice semantics, according to the description
> and examples given in Section 2.12 of XML 1.0:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml.html#sec-lang-tag
> The screen would be empty if the above fragment
> (substitute lang with xml:lang) is interpreted by XML
> parser running in non English locale (or even in
> en-CA locale!).

Could you point out where you found the description. I couldn't. The
section says "A special attribute named xml:lang may be inserted in
documents to specify the language used in the contents and attribute
values of any element in an XML document."

To my knowledge, xml:lang doesn't regulate XML processor's
behavior. And I believe that a XML processor must process (and report
to the user) all elements and attributes in the document regardless
the locale it's running in.

Shigemichi Yazawa
yazawa@globalsight.com