Re: Fullwidth/upright vertical characters in Mongolian

Hello Andrew,

On 2017/02/28 19:46, Andrew West wrote:
> Martin,
>
> In printed books and articles Mongolian text embedded in horizontal
> text (English, French, Russian, Chinese, ...) is usually rotated and
> laid out horizontally left-to-right. This has the advantage that line
> spacing is not affected, but has the disadvantage that it is not so
> easy to read.
>
> On the English Wikipedia we embed Mongolian text vertically into
> English text, breaking the Mongolian text into words at a space
> character so that the line spacing is not affected more than
> necessary. For example, in the article
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_script the Mongolian words
> ᠮᠣᠩᠭᠣᠯ ᠪᠢᠴᠢᠭ are embedded vertically in two adjacent columns in the
> first sentence of the English text. I'm not really sure what more
> there is to say about this.

Is this a new convention, or is there some older practice, too?

It looks quite good for this example, with just one single instance in a
rather long text. It might look worse if there are a lot more instances
of Mongolian, and/or if there are some long words.

One might guess that this convention is more suited for electronic media
(pixels/scrolling are mostly for free), whereas the older convention is
better suited for physical books (paper costs money).

Regards,   Martin.