RE: Input to Best Practice 18: Assign unique identifiers to text items when possible

From: Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:43:01 -0600
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Cc: "'Andrzej Zydron - XML-INTL'" <azydron@xml-intl.com>

Hi Andzej,

> I am a little confused by your response here. xml:tm is a LISA OSCAR
> standard that enables the unique identification of all of the translatable
> elements (including translatable attributes) of an XML document. As such
> it meets the requirements of BP 18 exactly.

Yes, but xml:tm's IDs are in specific formats. That is fine for xml:tm, but not a need for most XML applications.

> xml:tm is also intrinsically linked to W3C ITS as it allows the mapping
> of W3C ITS document rules directly onto a given XML vocabulary. It
> takes into account all aspects of document rules, including within text
> elements, subflows and translatable attributes and interprets these via
> the xml:tm namespace onto the specific vocabulary.

The point of BP-18 is to make sure to set unique and persistent IDs in the document, nothing more. This has nothing to do with ITS.
There is no mention of ITS anywhere in this BP.

I simply think giving an example with xml:tm would be too confusing for the reader.