RE: Input to BP 21 http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.html#AuthInsText

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:32:39 -0600
To: "'Lieske, Christian'" <christian.lieske@sap.com>, <public-i18n-its@w3.org>

Hi Christian, all,

> 2. I wonder to which specific requirement this BP pertains.
>  Is it "http://www.w3.org/TR/itsreq/#variables"?

That and the handling entities I think.

> 3. Should we really have a separate BP about entity references
> (cf. BP 22). We mention them already in this BP.

Yes, maybe BP 22 is too much. But maybe there are entities-specific issues 9unrelated to text insertion).

> 4. I wonder if we should not point to far more information
> from the documents which we cite as references.
> See for example the very nice recommendations (e.g. advice against
> sentence-like arrangements) in the article on "composite messages"
> (http://www.w3.org/International/articles/composite-messages/).

We have that article in the reference section. Would that be enough or or?

> 5. Aren't we missing a BP for schema developers which corresponds
> to this BP? One of the key points is the
> use of identifiers which allow for example the reordering of
> variables/placeholders during translation.
> Those identifiers, however, need to be incorporated into the XML
> vocabulary by a schema developer in the first place ;-)

Are you suggesting a section that would provide some example on how to use 'variable' in XML (e.g. by having an ID, a comment
explaining what the value is, etc.)?

> 6. In order to acknowledge the recommendation (from the article
> on "composite messages")
> > Provide information to the translator, where needed, to clarify
> > what a substring represents (eg. something like "%s near '%s' at
> > line %d" can pose a challenge for a translator).
>
> we could tell people that they can possible use the ITS data
> categories "Localization Note" and "Terminology" for doing this.

Good point.

-ys