Re: What is possible in XSLT patterns

Martin Duerst wrote:
> If you want a template to be selected with a particular,
> complicated nodeset expression (whatever can go into a
> apply-templates@select, http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#element-apply-templates),
> I think it should always work (except for namespace nodes) by
> having
> <xsl:apply-templates select="complicate expression" mode="unique value"/>
> <xsl:template match="simplified pattern" mode="unique value">
>   ...whatever
> </xsl:template>

The way I apply ITS is to take each rule
and turn it into an XSL "match" template.
Then process the document with that template,
so each element is processed in document order.
If I change this to turn each ITS rule into

 <apply-templates select="">

expressions, I would stop processing in document
order, surely?

If XSLT had an in memory tree which you could
manipulate, it would work. but unfortunately....

Sebastian