>>   <documentRules xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its"
>>                  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its">
>>       <ns its:prefix="db" its:uri="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"/>
>>       <documentRule its:translate="no"
>>                     its:translateSelector="//db:para/@*"/>
>>       <documentRule its:translate="yes"
>>                     its:translateSelector="//db:para"/>
>>   </documentRules>
>>
>> (yes, this last example looks quite ugly)
>
> I am not sure why, to be honest...

Because you have to declarace ITS namespace twice and attributes have to
be prefixed, even if elements are not (thanks to default namespace).

>> I don't see problem with having two sets of attributes. Moreover their
>> meaning is quite different. Namespaced attributes define ITS properties
>> for the current element, and unnamespaced for elements referenced by
>> documentRule.
 >
> but in practice a processing application may read the rules
> file, and copy attributes to an instance tree. Its a shame if
> it cannot just copy attribute nodes.

I prefer to think about markup design first, and about implementation
costs afterwards. Yes, copying attribute node with a namespace change is
not one operation, but two operations.

What is more important, is that current proposal doesn't allow to use
attributes like its:translate on rule elements in the same way as on
arbitrary other elements. I mean that you can't use ITS to annotate
itself. (Other question is, whether this could be useful for something.)

                    Nejbližší termíny školení:
      ** XSLT 13.-16.3.2006 ** XML schémata 24.-26.4.2006 **
        ** DocBook 15.-17.5.2006 ** XSL-FO 12.-13.6.2006 **