W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > January to March 2006

Minutes 2006-01-04: ITS teleconference

From: Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:31:48 +0100
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <003301c6114c$5d084e90$640fa8c0@Breizh>

Minutes 2006-01-04: ITS teleconference 

Attendees
=========

- CL: Christian Lieske (SAP)
- YS: Yves Savourel (ENLASO)
- DS: Diane Stoick (Boeing)
- GS: Goutam Saha (CDAC) [by IRC]

Regrets:

- FS: Felix Sasaki
- RI: Richard Ishida
- SR: Sebastian Rahtz
- AZ: Andrzej Zydron
- PG: Poonam Gupta
- NT: Najib Tounsi


Review Action Items From Last Meeting
=====================================

We skipped over all the item assigned to Felix or Sebastian since they could not be in the call. These items are pending for next
teleconference.

Other items:

-08 Christian to describe what localization properties are, and how it relates to ITS.
Done. Wiki: http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0512LocProperties
See also the earlier discussion:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005OctDec/0153.html

We discussed Christian text. The consensus was that it's going to be difficult to make a distinction localization properties and ITS
dislocated rules as they could be used as it by translation tools. The idea is that it's not really an issue: If ITS allows to be
used as localization properties despite not being specifically designed for this, there is no harm: we still are within the
boundaries of the charter. The discussion is still open on how to integrate this piece of text in the specification.

-09 Christian to write a non-normative section on scope, at the beginning of the scope section, which describes the classification
of how to express scope.
Status: Waiting for the restructuration of the document by Felix --> pending.

-10 Christian to create an example for "external" constraint information (e.g. using CSS)
Done. Wiki: http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0512CssConstraints
See also the earlier discussion:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005OctDec/0152.html

We discussed Christian's input. It seems we will need at some point to see if CSS would possibly cover all the constraints we have.
That can be done only when we have defined these constraints. --> Action item for YS to look into this. CL suggested that at some
point we may contact a CSS-guru to ask if CSS has support for the given constraints.

-11 Yves to create a wiki page on variables.
Done: http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0512ReqVariables
The example is from VoiceXML, but it would be great to have additional examples illustrating both linguistic and constraints issues.


-14 Yves to post a note about the next face-to-face meeting
Done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005OctDec/0194.html

-15 Yves to finalize and send his ITS use cases examples to Sebastian and Felix Pending
Pending.


2) Discussion
=============

=== Felix report of the "Language Standards for Global Business" conference:
Please, read it here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005OctDec/0196.html

We discussed Felix report (thanks Felix). CL noted that it seems we don't have enough contact between language-standards and
business-related standards. Some big-picture explanation of the standards may be useful too. CL also mentioned that an article
explaining the difference between ITS and XLIFF could be useful too.
YS mentioned the wiki proposed to centralize some data on standard
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects#Wikistandards)
This discussion item is to be in next week agenda too so FS can talk as needed.


=== Recently posted issues:
- Proposal for a "translateAddinfo" attribute
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2618
CL noted that this issue seems more of a localization problem than a localizibility issue.

The three next items:
- Complexity of precedence rules for "scope" (or "selectors")
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2619

- Necessity of dislocated scope / selectors *and* insitu scope / selectors
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2620

- On conformance levels: Have a simple conformance: in situ, with default selectors
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2621

...are all about allowing a very simple in-situ ITS implementation. This could be quite useful. CL noted that #2619 could lead to
metadata-for-ITS in ITS.


We discussed the Techniques:
YS has started to work on it. He'll try to get DS setup to build. But at worst she will be able to edit without issue as she can use
XMLSpy like the other editors.

We touched on the Requirements: some need to be moved to 'WD' status as per last teleconference call. --> To do.


Other Business
==============

- Brief talk about the possible next face-to-face in Scotland. See action items.

- Next teleconference: Wednesday Jan-11, same time, same channel.


ACTION ITEMS for next week
==========================

-01 [PENDING] Felix will tackle moving information from the i18n-comments lists, and move it to bugzilla.
See issue lists here:
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=ITS

-02 [PENDING] Felix to change bidi notation, as a response to Mimasas comment.

-03 [PENDING] Felix to correct the wrong XML Schema namespace.

-04 [PENDING] Felix to correct the syntax error in the markup logged in Bugzilla.

-05 [PENDING] Sebastian to change the processing system for ODD; Felix to make later changes to implement that in the specification.

-06 [PENDING] Felix to check possible problems with both elements and attributes qualified.

-07 [PENDING] Felix to change the ITS ODD definition so that it does not need an entry point anymore.

-08 [PENDING] Christian to write a non-normative section on scope, at the beginning of the scope section, which describes the
classification of how to express scope.
Waiting for FS restructuring

-09 [PENDING] Felix to talk to the QA activity within W3C about conformance criteria for ITS, explaining all the different usage
scenarios and (optional) ITS expressions.

-10 [PENDING] Info about next face-to-face:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2005OctDec/0194.html
All to post an answer on which dates they would prefer:
A) Thursday May-18, Friday May-19, and Saturday May-20
B) or Sunday May-28, Monday May-29, and Tuesday May-30
C) or Monday May-29, Tuesday May-30, and Wednesday May-31

-11 [PENDING] Yves to finalize and send his ITS use cases examples to Sebastian and Felix Pending
Pending

-12 [NEW] (medium term) Yves to explore constraint support in CSS and possibly contact a CSS guru.

-13 [NEW] Update the Requirement wiki list and status.


Cheers,
-yves
Received on Wednesday, 4 January 2006 16:38:46 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:43:06 UTC