[ESW Wiki] Update of "its0908LinguisticMarkup" by GoutamSaha

From: <w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:02:33 -0000
To: w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "ESW Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by GoutamSaha:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0908LinguisticMarkup

  ''Superlative Adjective:'' best, smallest, tallest, worst etc.
  ''Demonstrative Adjective:'' ''This'' boy is strong. ''That'' boy is industrious. Don't
  be in ''such'' a hurry. I hate ''such'' things. ''These'' mangoes are sweet.
+
+ In most of the languages, normally adjective precedes a noun. However, when an adjective (of numeral type) follows a noun then it indicates an approximate amount only. For an example, in Bangla, Aami(I) Panch (five) Lac Taka (rupees) Chaai (need) or I need five lac rupees in English. Here, it indicates exactly five lac only. On the otherhand, in the Bangla sentence- Aami Lac Panchek Taka Chai- it indicates an approximation, i.e., I need about five lac rupees. Here, lac is a noun of the category of unit of measurement and five is a numeral adjective. In such cases, we need to markup in the following way.
+
+ {{{
+
+ <text xml:lang="ben">
+
+ <sentence_cat name="assertive"> Aami
+
+ <pos_cat name="adjective" meaning="five">Panch</pos_cat>
+
+ <pos_cat name="noun"> Lac</pos_cat>
+
+ <!-- numeral adjective precedes a noun - indicates an exact amount -->
+
+ Taka Chai
+
+ </sentence_cat>
+
+
+ <sentence_cat name="assertive"> Aami
+
+ <pos_cat name="noun"> Lac</pos_cat>
+
+ <pos_cat name="adjective" meaning="approximately five"> Panchek</pos_cat>
+
+ <!-- numeral adjective follows a noun - indicates an approximate amount -->
+
+ Taka Chai
+
+ </sentence_cat>
+
+ </text>
+
+ }}}
+

  A typical example is shown below in order to show how grammatical knowledge can be used as XML markups for the sentence "This boy is strong." However, word-level markups for all words in a sentence may not be required. We need to '''markup only at language specific parts.'''