[ESW Wiki] Update of "its0504ReqCulturalAspects" by ChristianLieske

From: <w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 02:44:48 -0000
To: w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "ESW Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by ChristianLieske:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqCulturalAspects

  '''[[YS-''' Isn't "translation styles" to specific? It seems we are taking about "writing styles". One may imagine to use such information even when not doing translation, for example for different linguistic-related taks, e.g. terminology extraction.''']]'''

+ '''[[CL-''' I would suggest to be even more generic and talk about "content styles" since localization isn't just about textual/written content but about non-textual content (such as graphics) as well.''']]'''
+
  == Summary ==

- It must be possible to specify writing styles in a target language in order to better quality of reused translated contents. The declaration of such an attribute should be done at the beginning of a document.
+ It must be possible to specify writing styles in a target language in order to improve the quality of reused translated contents. The declaration of such an attribute should be done at the beginning of a document.

  '''[[YS-''' Here too it seems we are maybe too specific. Maybe something like: "It must be possible to specify the writing styles in a document in order to better qualify the contents for different linguistic purposes, such as localization."

@@ -39, +41 @@

  == Quick Guideline Thoughts ==
  A writing style in translation should be provided as a document metadata. There are no “absolute” values for this type of attribute, and each language and user could have its own values, which should be defined in schema. For example, a user might want to specify generic style guide names to specify writing styles as following:

+ '''[[CL-''' If I understood Tim correctly, he suspects that a "non-controlled" set of values for style may not be of great help.''']]'''
+
  <document style=”Guide A”>

  <document style=”Guide B”>