RE: Context Data Category

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:59:20 -0700
To: "'Ingo Prause'" <iprause@sdl.com>, "'Felix Sasaki'" <fsasaki@w3.org>
CC: <public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org>

Hi Ingo, Felix,

>> after some discussion with others I was wondering whether you actually
>> need something similar to "locNote", not for human readers, but for
>> machine processing. That is something we had thought about for ITS 1.0
>> already, btw. The definition would be the same as for "locNote", except
>> that we have different names (e.g. "locInfo" instead of "locNote") and no
>> "locInfoType" attribute. What do you think?
>
> Yes, that sounds useful. I believe Yves was suggesting that it
> would be an extension of ITS 1.0 and not a new version...

What I had in mind was to define a namespace for any new features we would think could be useful to ITS. This first step would allow
tools to implement those features and try them out without waiting for a new version of ITS. Then, once we think we have gathered
what we think is a good complement and things look stable, we could see if they could make it as part of the next version of ITS.
This would allow tools to have a smooth transition (just a namespace change).

I could see other features that we didn't implement in 1.0 because of time constraint, like dealing with target location, pointing
to IDs that are not xml:id, etc.

-ys