RE: Validator links to i18n articles

Thanks Olivier.

I have some suggestions for improvements to the tips you get to from the
validator...

> - validating a document with not charset declaration:
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/dev/
> tests/nocharset.html;ss

http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-charset

"Specifying a character encoding is normally done in the web server
configuration file or administration program. The W3C I18N Activity has
collected a few tips on how to do this in popular web server
implementations."

"IANA  maintains the list of official names for character sets and the WDG
has some information to help you correctly specify the character encoding."

I would recommend the following replacement (using wiki-like representation
for link in this plain text):

"Specifying a character encoding is typically done by the web server
configuration, by the scripts that put together pages, and inside the
document itself. [http://www.iana.org/ IANA]  maintains the list of
[http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets official names for character
encodings] (called charsets in this context). You can choose from a number
of encodings, though we recommend UTF-8 as particularly useful."

"The W3C I18N Activity has collected a [/International/O-charset few tips on
how to do this]."

Note that on the i18n site we have the info the WDG document covers, and I'd
rather get people looking at our stuff.  Note also that I replaced the
existing link to an i18n page with a different one, that is of more general
appeal and content.

I'd also suggest the following replacement:

"and "utf-8" (Universal, but not commonly used in legacy documents)"

with

"and "utf-8" (Universal, more commonly used in recent documents)"

These commetns would also apply to the verbose validator feedback at
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fqa-dev.w3.org%2Fwmvs%2FHEAD%2
Fdev%2Ftests%2Fnocharset.html&verbose=1

What do you think?

RI