[ESW Wiki] Update of "geoEncoding" by DavidClarke

From: <w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:37:08 -0000
To: w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "ESW Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by DavidClarke:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/geoEncoding

  ]]

+
  '''[[RI''' Although the question has it, i think, the right way round to grab attention, I think the explanation may be better if it started off with the problem statement - ie. why should i care?  I think this should be put in very simple, graphic terms:  Characters are represented in a computer using bytes. If the bytes representing character in your text are misinterpreted you get a mess, like this... There a several schemes for associating bytes with characters, and determining what characters are included in a set.  Examples are...

  I fear the current text is too abstract and not simple enough.  ]]

- = What is Encoding? =
+ '''[[DRC''' Is this a simpler approach, or is it too simple? ]]
+ = Background =
+ == Simple Explanation of Character Encoding ==
+ Internally, computers store characters as numeric codes. The relatinship between these codes and the characters they represent in the character encoding.
+ == Problem Issues ==
+ Historically, different types of computer system from different countries or manufacturers have used different character encodings.

  '''[[RI''' This heading should be either 'answer' or 'background' for an FAQ. Take note that that will limit the level of nesting you go to.]]