Language declaration tests

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:47:48 +0100
To: "GEO" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>

I decided to try developing some tests on Deborah's list today.  See the three I came up with at http://w3.org/International/tests/#lang-decl (entitled 'Language declaration').

See also a write-up of results for the Uas on my desktop at http://w3.org/International/tests/results/lang-decl

On a more philosophical note: We had been talking about using these tests to simply detect whether language is recognised inside the document, but I found that the use of the language information in Gecko UAs depends on the feature examined. So I give the detail for both :lang test and cjk font test in the results.  We could extend these tests by testing for other features that use language information if we can think of any, or if any are developed later.

We now need to develop more of the tests on Deborah's list.

Hope that helps.  Please take a critical look at them for me.
Thanks,

contact info:
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/

W3C Internationalization: