Re: Is a list of one item still a list?

Alemnew & Martin,

Thank you both for the input.  I agree a list of one item generally doesn't
make sense, it occurs to me now that this would be an author's intent when
being sarcastic, for example:

Exhaustive List of Candidates for President:
  * AA AA

A "Sarcastic List" would be a special case -one my primary school teacher
would not have appreciated, I'm sure.

However, I'd like to mention two points:

> First, it seems to me that the rule that lists should have more than one
> item is something that is somewhat above the layer of typography and
> text layout that this and other task forces are working on.

Point taken.  I do think this group is a useful place to discuss and
capture typography and layout rules for Ethiopic that may occur in a
slightly higher layer.  In this case at the level that composition happens.
A word processor or editor application could apply a list length rule to
warn the user that they may be making an error. A document auditor /
validator application that checked structure could likewise utilize such a
rule. Perhaps this leads to a companion specification or a special appendix
for validation recommendations.

Once composed, a layout engine should not throw an error or change layout
when a single item list is found.

> Second, I think there is occasionally a use for a list with only one
> item, to keep the layout of parallel structures aligned. As an example,
> assume a lists of officials to be elected, where most offices have more
> than one candidate, but some office may have only one candidate. Then
> you might get something like
>
> * Candidates for President
>    - AA AA
>    - BB BB
> * Candidates for Secretary
>    - CC CC
> * Candidates for Treasurer
>    - DD DD
>    - EE EE
>    - FF FF
>
> There's only one candidate for secretary, so we end up with a list with
> only one item, but we don't want to change that to inline text because
> that would ruin the structure of the layout.

Here we have a list of lists, or at least a sequence of lists which might
be a special rule that a validator could apply.

BTW, Alemnew and others.  Questions for discussion posted here have a
correspondence in the ELReq Github Issues section, for this question see
the issue:

https://github.com/w3c/elreq/issues/113

Feel free to share thoughts and examples there as well.  We can add summary
and conclusion of the email discussion there to close out the issue.

thanks,

-Daniel