Re: CSS3 Lists (was: [minutes] i18n telecon 2012-04-04)

On 04/04/2012 10:26 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:

> Koji: CSS3 Lists feedback was sent a few months
> ... spec is close to last call
> ... predefined counter styles will be separate and referenced
> by css3
> ... but not published with css3 lists

I don't think CSS3 Lists is close to Last Call. The layout
algorithms in it haven't gotten any review from anyone afaik.
It's good to note the counter styles are moving into a separate
module. Those are done--afaik Tab has no open issues against
any of the numbering systems.

There's been some suggestions to make the counter styles that
are not in CSS2.1 a Note that authors can copy-paste rather
than implementing them natively in the layout engine (which
would mean copy-pasting the code into the UA style sheet instead).
While I'm sympathetic to the argument of not including every
possible variant of every number system in the UA style sheet,
I think styles that are common and/or complex (such as the CJK
numbering styles) should be handled by the UA. The current list
of predefined styles is very heavily skewed towards European
usage, and I don't think it's appropriate to set the cut-off at
CSS2.1. The i18nwg might want to weigh in on this matter: which
styles should be implemented in the UA vs. custom-coded by authors.

~fantasai