W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > April to June 2012

[minutes] i18n telecon 2012-04-04

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 18:26:59 +0100
Message-ID: <4F7C8463.5090307@w3.org>
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Online:

	http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html



Text version follows:


Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

04 Apr 2012

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Richard, Mati, Norbert, David, Koji, Aharon

    Regrets
           Addison, Felix

    Chair
           Richard

    Scribe
           r12a

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Info Share
          2. [5]Review of work
      * [6]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Info Share

    [7]http://www.w3.org/blog/International/2012/04/03/just-publish
    ed-new-version-of-working-group-note-requirements-for-japanese-
    text-layout-%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E%E7%B5%84%E7%89%88%E5%87
    %A6%E7%90%86%E3%81%AE%E8%A6%81%E4%BB%B6/

       [7] 
http://www.w3.org/blog/International/2012/04/03/just-published-new-version-of-working-group-note-requirements-for-japanese-text-layout-%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E%E7%B5%84%E7%89%88%E5%87%A6%E7%90%86%E3%81%AE%E8%A6%81%E4%BB%B6/

    Just Published! New Version of Working Group Note, Requirements
    for Japanese Text Layout (日本語組版処理の要件)

    koji: there was some interest from Korea
    ... they may get back to us this month

    <scribe> ACTION: Koji to check about Korean layout task force
    [recorded in
    [8]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-109 - Check about Korean layout task
    force [on Koji Ishii - due 2012-04-11].

    [9]http://www.w3.org/blog/International/2012/04/03/w3c-workshop
    -call-for-participation-the-multilingual-web-linked-open-data-a
    nd-multi%C2%ADlingual%C2%ADweb-lt-requirements/

       [9] 
http://www.w3.org/blog/International/2012/04/03/w3c-workshop-call-for-participation-the-multilingual-web-linked-open-data-and-multi%C2%ADlingual%C2%ADweb-lt-requirements/

    W3C Workshop, Call for Participation: The Multilingual Web –
    Linked Open Data and MultilingualWeb-LT Requirements

    Norbert: ECMASCript committee met last week - i18n APIs
    discussed - not enough review, so came up with new schedule -
    should be a detailed discussion in May
    ... mostly accepted proposal for supplementary characters

Review of work

    [10]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [10] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    No takers for web messaging

    Norbert will look at web workers spec

    [11]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions
    %20Review

      [11] 
http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions%20Review

    <scribe> ACTION: Norbert to review Web Workers and submit
    comments directly from tracker comments [recorded in
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-110 - Review Web Workers and submit
    comments directly from tracker comments [on Norbert Lindenberg
    - due 2012-04-11].

    Encoding spec

    Norbert: where does the information in the spec come from?

    <scribe> ACTION: Norbert to contact Anne about sources for
    information in encoding spec [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-111 - Contact Anne about sources for
    information in encoding spec [on Norbert Lindenberg - due
    2012-04-11].

    [14]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    [15]http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-00

      [15] http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-00

    Guidelines for Internationalized Resource Identifiers with
    Bi-directional Characters (Bidi IRIs)
    draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-00.pdf

    <aharon> sounds good

    <scribe> ACTION: Mati to review IRI bidi spec for two weeks
    from now [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <scribe> ACTION: Aharon to review IRI bidi spec for two weeks
    from now [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-112 - Review IRI bidi spec for two
    weeks from now [on Aharon Lanin - due 2012-04-11].

    Koji: CSS3 Lists feedback was sent a few months
    ... spec is close to last call
    ... predefined counter styles will be separate and referenced
    by css3
    ... but not published with css3 lists

    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_history

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_history

    Richard added numbers of open issues alongside items - need to
    check what actually should be closed. Also a distinction made
    under "Other topics..." between "i18n WG discussing" and "Other
    monitoring": the former are list or bugzilla discussion lists
    which we have become involved with, the latter is just
    capturing threads or bugs that are potentially of interest to
    us. All are encouraged to raise issues of the latter type if
    they come across interesting threads.

    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/8

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/8

    [20]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Pipeline

      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Pipeline

    <scribe> ACTION: Aharon to work on tidying up Additional
    Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming couple of
    months [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-113 - Work on tidying up Additional
    Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming couple of
    months [on Aharon Lanin - due 2012-04-11].

    Richard is working on the bidi tutorial/articles, and plans to
    move them all forward together once the inline bidi article is
    finished. Working with Aharon on that. Heads up that it
    proposes a different approach to bidi inline markup, using more
    markup than previously but with simpler rules to follow.

    Norbert: what about the translate attribute article? Is this
    something Felix plans to do?

    Richard: I was thinking of reusing teh text of my recent blog
    post, but I don't have bandwidth for that yet.

    [22]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core-objectives#Encodi
    ng_spec

      [22] 
http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core-objectives#Encoding_spec

    <scribe> ACTION: Richard to send email about Multilingual Web
    Sites CG to list [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action07]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-114 - Send email about Multilingual
    Web Sites CG to list [on Richard Ishida - due 2012-04-11].

    <aharon> perfectly happy I

    Discussion about adding to the core objectives page a section
    about 'liaisons' and implications of that. Richard to add. Can
    list ECMAScript (Norbert), Unicode (Richard & Addison), IRI
    (?), ePub (Koji).

    We should expect to have periodic updates from people involved
    in those activities (nothing heavy or formal!).

    If anyone feels that the list of objectives should be changed,
    please contact Richard.

    Eventually we should also add objectives that we are not yet
    currently working on, in a separate section lower down the
    page.

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Aharon to review IRI bidi spec for two weeks from
    now [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: Aharon to work on tidying up Additional
    Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming couple of
    months [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: Koji to check about Korean layout task force
    [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: Mati to review IRI bidi spec for two weeks from
    now [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: Norbert to contact Anne about sources for
    information in encoding spec [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: Norbert to review Web Workers and submit comments
    directly from tracker comments [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to send email about Multilingual Web
    Sites CG to list [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-i18n-minutes.html#action07]

    [End of minutes]



-- 
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/
Received on Wednesday, 4 April 2012 17:27:27 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 4 April 2012 17:27:28 GMT