I18N-ISSUE-82: Non-ASCII enumerated values [HTML5-prep]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:22:48 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-82: Non-ASCII enumerated values [HTML5-prep]

Raised by: Richard Ishida
On product: HTML5-prep

2.5.3 Keywords and enumerated attributes
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/common-microsyntaxes.html#keywords-and-enumerated-attributes

I realize that the set of "enumerated values" in HTML5 consists strictly of ASCII strings. However, there is no syntactical requirement that this be true. Non-ASCII values could be included into an enumerated value set, in which case, the "ACSII case-insensitive" match may be incomplete. Instead of using "ASCII case-insensitive", could Unicode case-folded matching be defined instead? This is stable, well-defined, and a strict superset of the ASCII case?