From: mark.edward.davis@gmail.com [mailto:mark.edward.davis@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mark Davis
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:02 PM
To: fantasai
Cc: Martin Duerst; Phillips, Addison; public-i18n-core@w3.org
Subject: Re: [draft] Unicode Normalization: requsts for CSS-WG, HTML-CG agendum

The CJK compatibility characters are also variants of the corresponding 'ordinary' character in that either character could appear in either form. As a matter of fact, the glyphic shape of the sources (eg JIS) has changed over time.

The Unicode Consortium does recognize that particular glyphic shapes are sometimes important, and has developed a much more comprehensive mechanism to deal with it. See http://unicode.org/reports/tr37/

Mark