Re: [selectors-api] Selectors API I18N Review...

What Daniel describes is likely the result of viewing NFD text, if the
combination of viewing app, font and system-level support do not
support composing that text by making the accent move onto the base
letter (a.k.a. "mark attachment"). In other words, conversion to NFD
can in some situations "break" the visual expression of text, and that
is more likely with NFD conversion than with, say NFC.

Broadly speaking, I would not suggest promoting NFD as a
general-purpose recommended normalization form, for these sorts of
reasons.

Without knowing any details (OS version, application + version, font +
format + version), it is difficult to say much more than that. (I'll
note in passing that Apple has been improving their support for mark
attachment at the system level, adding OpenType support in addition to
their previous AAT support. I gather there were still some issues in
10.5 that may have been improved in 10.6.)

Cheers,