Characters, entities and references

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:04:07 -0000
To: <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

I did a quick summary of how XML, HTML4 and HTML5 spec refer to &#xA0; &#160; and &nsbp; constructs at http://rishida.net/blog/?page_id=147

The most worrying thing is that HTML5 is creating a whole new set of names for these things.  So that we have a chance of being understood in the future when talking about these constructs in reviews, guidelines or talks, I propose we write to them and ask them to rename things as follows:

Character entity references -> character references OR character escapes

Named entities -> character entity references

Decimal numeric entities -> decimal numeric character references

Hexadecimal numeric entities -> hexadecimal numeric character references

Does everyone agree?

Perhaps we should even establish some guidelines for naming these things in specs in general.

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)