W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > April to June 2008

i18n Core telecon minutes 2008-04-02

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:09:54 +0100
To: <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Message-ID: <009001c894e4$5f4c2820$1de47860$@org>

http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html


Text version follows: 

                           I18n Core telecon

02 Apr 2008

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2008Apr/0000.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-irc

Attendees

   Present
          addison, david, mick, andrew, richard, felix

   Regrets
          Michelle

   Chair
          Addison

   Scribe
          r12a

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Action items
         2. [6]Info Share
         3. [7]SSML internationalization
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________



Action items

   <scribe> ACTION: Addison to finish revising Unicode Migration for
   publication; Addison to resolve editing issues DONE [recorded in
   [9]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action02]

   <scribe> ACTION: Addison: write basic outline in wiki for a note on
   case folding PENDING [recorded in
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action03]

   <scribe> ACTION: Addison: Write to WebAPI WG chair expressing our
   concern about non-i18n statement and lack of i18n in widgets 1.0 WD
   DONE [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action04]

   Felix: I spoke to Mike Smith offline, I can ping him again

   <scribe> ACTION: Andrew: create notes on how to use the wiki
   template PENDING [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action05]

   Andrew in process of adding now - should be done by tomorrow

   <scribe> ACTION: Addison to request new schedule following 2 April
   DONE [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action06]

Info Share

   <fsasaki> scribenick: fsasaki

   r12a: looked at template for translations
   ... now you have create a small php file
   ... you use the same file name with same extension
   ... no need to edit every page anymore
   ... no need to build languages in each page either
   ... example of this not yet uploaded
   ... send a mail later

   <scribe> scribenick: r12a

SSML internationalization

   [14]http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-speech-synthesis11-20080317/#S3.2.1

     [14] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-speech-synthesis11-20080317/#S3.2.1

   <aphillip> (discussion of extended language range)

   <aphillip> probably should use the term "language priority list"

   <aphillip> probably should be a prioritized list

   "here both language and accent MUST be an Extended Language Range"
   is ok

   <aphillip> items should match *one* of the items in the priority
   list

   "A voice satisfies the languages feature if, for each
   language/accent pair in the list,"

   see notes above about matching at least one item and should be
   priority list, probably

   <David> yes

   "whose description as a language tag" is misleading - they probably
   mean to say "a voice can read/speak a language whose language tag
   matches"

   addison: not sure why extension subtags are ignored (althought there
   presently aren't any)

   david: there may be a need for region accents rather than the
   language

   addison: what they are doing is somewhat backwards, its not clear
   whether they mean that extension subtags and scripts can be ignored
   in voice or language range
   ... they should say that script has no meaning in auditory stuff
   like this

   <aphillip> probably the text about script and extension subtags is
   unnecessary

   <aphillip> as long as the range in the attribute has no script
   subtag, any voices that have scripts will match it

   <aphillip> if one is specified, only voices that have that script
   subtag will match

   <aphillip> even though script has no meaning in an auditory context

   <aphillip> what they propose requires that the tags/ranges be
   processed

   <aphillip> matching is written such that this isn't necessary

   <aphillip> better to recommend that they just not be used

   <aphillip> matching is written such that parsing the language tags
   is not necessary

   <aphillip> zh-CN-HK is an illegal language tag (in one of the
   examples)

   addison: might be better to avoid a chinese example, at least
   initially
   ... if you want control over which langauge is used, you should use
   cmn or yue tags rather than zh-CN etc.

   <scribe> ACTION: Addison to write an alternative proposal for the
   para giving an example in SSML 3.2.1 [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action07]

   <aphillip> reference BCP 47, "Matching of Language Tags"

   might be better than RFC 4647 references

   or at least RFC 4647 or its successor

   felix: this is fairly stable rfc

   addison: yes, that algorithm is probably pretty stable

   3066 is not in the document, only in the references

   <aphillip> 3066 is a stale reference; bcp47 is an informative
   reference

   suggest to them that the sentence about BCP 47 be changed to say
   that values should conform to language tags in BCP47, and this would
   make BCP47 a normative reference

   questions:

   how does the voice/languages setting interact with xml:lang ?

   does voice always override xml:lang?

   is it left to the processor to decide?

   para starting "voice attributes are inherited down the tree i" is
   very hard to understand and doesn't seem to imply any precedence

   does voice override xml:lang changes in the text too ?

   <aphillip> how do you want to respond to them? richard to respond
   separately from addison

   <andrew_>
   [16]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Help:Using_collaboration_te
   mplate

     [16] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Help:Using_collaboration_template

   <aphillip> Meeting: Internationalization Core Teleconference

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Addison to write an alternative proposal for the para
   giving an example in SSML 3.2.1 [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action07]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Addison: write basic outline in wiki for a note on
   case folding [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action03]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Andrew: create notes on how to use the wiki
   template [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action05]

   [DONE] ACTION: Addison to finish revising Unicode Migration for
   publication; Addison to resolve editing issues [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action01]
   [DONE] ACTION: Addison to finish revising Unicode Migration for
   publication; Addison to resolve editing issues [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action02]
   [DONE] ACTION: Addison to request new schedule following 2 April
   [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action06]
   [DONE] ACTION: Addison: Write to WebAPI WG chair expressing our
   concern about non-i18n statement and lack of i18n in widgets 1.0 WD
   [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/02-core-minutes.html#action04]

   [End of minutes]

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)
 
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/blog/
http://rishida.net/

 
Received on Wednesday, 2 April 2008 17:22:03 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:55 GMT