RE: Resources updates in Lang Decl BP doc

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:52:38 +0900
To: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>, "'GEO'" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>
Cc: <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

At 19:56 06/07/04, Richard Ishida wrote:
>[Copying in Core]
>Ok, I made changes to the page based on your comments below.  Thanks.
>There will be a major edit to the page when the specs are finally published.
>I don't always notice when these documents change.  Given your involvement
>in this stuff, could I ask you to send a note to www-international each time
>there is something to report?
>Btw, I'm still unclear about some aspects of the scope of the label BCP 47.
>As I understand it, it will refer to both the 'tags' and 'matching'

>I have one or two questions about that:

(turned out to be quite a few more questions than that)

>1. Does it refer to those specs right now - presumably it doesn't refer to
>RFC 3066bis yet? Currently ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/bcp/bcp47.txt points
>to RFC 3066.

>2. Where is it defined what BCP 47 represents.

The most 'official' definition is probably
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html#BCPbyBCP. But this only
reflects the status after publication.

>3. Can we be sure that someone is planning to update the link to BCP 47

For that one, sure, that's part of the RFC Editor's job.

>4. What will the link to BCP 47 point to, given that there are two documents
>and it can't point directly to both at the same time?

Difficult to guess. As an example, I note that
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html#BCPbyBCP lists RFCs 4288 and RFC 4289
as BCP 13, but ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/bcp/bcp13.txt links to the former

>5. I'm assuming that BCP 47 will refer to both the 'tags' and 'matching'
>documents, and that these documents will have different RFC numbers.  Is
>that correct?

>6. Is there a precedent for one BCP to refer to more than one RFC?

Yes, see above.

>7. Or is there a possibility of the two documents being combined into one?

No way, at least not this time round.

>8. What about the draft that outlines the initial registry, presumably that
>won't be part of BCP 47?

Yes. It will be published as a shell (only a note that the contents has
been moved to the subtag registry) in order not to cause confusion
(people looking at that RFC rather than the registry).

>9. Should W3C specs say they conform to BCP 47 and reference BCP 47 with the
>above URI, even if they happen to be specifically interested in just one of
>the two documents in question, or should they reference the specific

The advantage for using "BCP 47" is less that you get two documents
for one, but that it will get updated when there is a newer version.

Regards,    Martin.