RE: I18n comment: inheritance of :lang and |=

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:25:28 -0000
To: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

> I've added the example from the CSS 2.1 spec (which is even
> more explicit). Let me know if that's ok or not:
>
>   The difference between :lang(C) and the '|=' operator is
> that the '|='
>   operator only performs a comparison against a given attribute on the
>   element, while the :lang(C) pseudo-class uses the UA's
> knowledge of the
>   document's semantics to perform the comparison.
>
>   In this HTML example, only the BODY matches [lang|=fr]
> (because it has a
>   LANG attribute) but both the BODY and the P match :lang(fr) (because
>   both are in French).

Hi Ian,

I think there's still a small lack of clarity for the unaware since saying that BODY matches may infer (incorrectly) for some that <p> inherits. How about this:

=====
In this HTML example, the P does not match [lang|=fr] (because only BODY has a LANG attribute) but both the BODY and the P match :lang(fr).

======

(Note that I also added quotes around the attribute value, and replaced the entity with a c-cedilla character.)

RI