Re: [CDR Framework] i18n comment: Language identification for child documents

From: François Yergeau <francois@yergeau.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:09:55 -0800
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, public-cdf@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org

Bjoern Hoehrmann a écrit :
> Well, if there is no explicit language information you have to guess.

xml:lang is explicit language information.  The issue is that the CDR
spec should say that its scope extends to referred-to objects in a
compound document, just like it deals with events, so that the CDR works
  just like a CDI.

> I don't see why guessing just based on the language of the referencing
> element would necessarily give better results than guessing based on,

Did you read the little scenario I made up?  Don't you think that *not*
changing the styling/behaviour when going from a CDI to an equivalent
CDR is better that changing it to some random outcome based on guessing?

> say, n-gram analysis, or why interoperable results are more important
> than good results.

I'm afraid that specs don't define good results.  If a spec is clear,
the authors can conform to it and expect browsers to give the good
results that they intend.  The CDR spec currently does not discuss
xml:lang (or lang from HTML) and IMHO it should say that it propagates
across references and that it can be overridden just as it can in XML,
plus by a HTTP (or other protocol) header.

--
François Yergeau