W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > January to March 2006

Minutes i18n core telefone conference 2006-01-31

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:22:34 +0900
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.s39srwz3x1753t@ibm-60d333fc0ec.mag.keio.ac.jp>

Hi all,

The minutes of yesterday's call are at

http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html

and below as text.

Regards, Felix.

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                         i18n core working group

31 Jan 2006

    [2]Agenda

       [2]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jan/0039.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Felix, Francois, Karunesh, Mary, Richard

    Regrets
    Chair
           Francois

    Scribe
           Felix

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]summary of rfc 3066 bis
          2. [6]Mapping of XML names into programming languages
          3. [7]Comments on charmod norm
          4. [8]Replies to comments on CSS selectors
          5. [9]CDF review
          6. [10]action items
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

summary of rfc 3066 bis

    [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jan/004
    1.html

      [12]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jan/0041.html

    Felix conclusion: we can continue to refer to rfc 3066 or its
    successor

    Francois: it would be good to have an FAQ on this

    Richard: I have asked Addison to write an FAQ

    Francois: For the moment we tell spec writers to point to RFC 3066
    and its successor

Mapping of XML names into programming languages

    Francois: explains the issue, described in
    [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/
    0126.html
    ... it is a general thing of escaping characters
    ... we want to tell them to use escaping as in XML or Java
    ... not in URL where the bytes are escaped
    ... so "use the 'hex' code for each character that you cannot have",
    and that's it

      [13]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/0126.html

Comments on charmod norm

    Francois: Did not have time to look at this

    Felix: Did not have time to look in this, should do it before the
    tech plenary, to be able to talk to the XML / XSL / XQuery / XML
    Schema folks

    <scribe> ACTION: francois / all to go through charmod norm comments
    of QT people etc. (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]

Replies to comments on CSS selectors

    [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/
    0133.html

      [15]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/0133.html

    comment 1 on CSS

    felix: let's give this up

    francois: spec's are not tutorials

    comment 2 on CSS

    francois: In that case it is a source of confusion
    ... all it requires saying "this is not the type as in XML Schema"

    felix: let's try again

    comment 3 on CSS

    francois: you see various usages of selectors (css, w3c selectors)
    ... they need to clarify this

    felix: go back to them to clarify their usage with a consistent
    terminology

    comment 5 on CSS

    Francois: o.k. with that

    comment 6 on CSS

    Francois: a problem with definition of conformance
    ... we should push back on them to define conformance with respect
    to the binding mechanism
    ... we don't have to insist of prescribing it

    comment 8 on CSS

    comment 11 on CSS

    [16]http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-selectors-20051215/#pseudo-cla
    sses

      [16]  
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-selectors-20051215/#pseudo-classes

    <fyergeau>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-selectors-20051215/#attribute-
    substrings

      [17]  
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-selectors-20051215/#attribute-substrings

    francois: drop this

    comment 12

    felix: o.k.

    comment 15

    Richard: they seem to be afraid of matching problems
    ... they are saying how they define the matching is done
    ... not rfc 3066bis or something else

    Francois: it was poorly worded in the spec
    ... we should ask Addison or Mark or both what they think about this

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to ask Addison and Mark about language tags
    in css selectors [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]

    <fyergeau> comment 16

    <fyergeau> we need to insist

    <fyergeau> on case-insensitve

    comment 17

    accepted

    comment 20

    francois: need to wait for answer or asked again

    comment 23

    francois: we should keep that open, until they clarify the relation
    between css and selectors (see comment 3)
    ... what they do for 3 will make it clear

CDF review

    [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/
    0133.html

      [19]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2006JanMar/0133.html

    comment cdr-2

    francois: drop this

    comment cdr-5

    francois: I still disagree
    ... I have a scenario with an XHTML document which contains an SVG
    image
    ... if I make it external, the language information does not apply
    anymore
    ... my concern is: what should happen if there is no other
    information?
    ... that is, no "authoritative metadata"

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to give back i18n core WG feedback to CSS and
    CDF WG [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]

action items

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to summarize RFC 3066bis and to contact AP
    and Mark (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]

    <scribe> ACTION: felix to ask addison for preparations for meetings
    with ws folks at tech plenary (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]

    <scribe> ACTION: Felix to contact Moataz about HP replacement and TP
    (ONGOING) [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Felix to ask Addison and Mark about language tags in
    css selectors [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: Felix to give back our feedback to CSS and CDF WG
    [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]

    [ONGOING] ACTION: felix to ask addison for preparations for meetings
    with ws folks at tech plenary [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]
    [ONGOING] ACTION: Felix to contact Moataz about HP replacement and
    TP [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]
    [ONGOIN] ACTION: felix to summarize RFC 3066bis and to contact AP
    and Mark [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]
    [PENDING] ACTION: francois / all to go through charmod norm comments
    of QT people etc. [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [30]scribe.perl version 1.127
     ([31]CVS log)
     $Date: 2006/02/01 01:10:41 $

      [30] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [31] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 1 February 2006 01:22:40 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:50 GMT