W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > January to March 2005

[I18N Core] Teleconference Minutes 2005-02-15

From: Addison Phillips [wM] <aphillips@webmethods.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:54:15 -0800
To: <aphillips@webmethods.com>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Message-ID: <PNEHIBAMBMLHDMJDDFLHKEKHJDAA.aphillips@webmethods.com>

Present: Addison (chair, scribe), Martin, Richard, Francois, Mary
Regrets: Tex

 AGENDA
 
 1. Action Items (5 minutes)
 2. Announcements (5 minutes)
 3. Review Radar status report (10 minutes)
 4. CharMod status report (10 minutes)
 5. Language and Locale ID status report (5 minutes)
 6. IDNA mess (25 minutes)
 7. (added) Bidi bug in Mozilla
 8. (added) encoding attribute email thread

ACCUMULATED ACTION ITEMS:
 AP: remind people to get AC Reps to sign them up. (and again...)
 AP: Send list of current outstanding reviews   (done 050209) 
 (someone): bring a microphone so we can use Skype as a backup for TechPlenary
 RI: ping GEO about doing some reviews. Possibly the ATAG 2.0 review.
 MD + AP: Look at Binary Data in XML
 AP: write a response for review by list
 (all): send any comments about the encoding thread by tomorrow morning London time (richard's day)

IRC LOG:
> 
<Zakim> I18N_WG(core tf)5:00PM has now started
<r12a> http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc (invent a nickname, use #i18n channel)

Agenda Review

Action Items
> 
> AP: follow up on possibility of a phone for Tech Plenary  (write 
> to adminreq) (done)
> AP: follow up with Jeremy  (done)
> AP: revise SVG message and look at it again.  (in progress)
> AP: Update Radar Chart  (done 050209) 
> AP: Send list of current outstanding reviews   (done 050209) 
> (someone): bring a microphone so we can use Skype as a backup for 
> TechPlenary
> AP: remind people to get AC Reps to sign them up. (and again...)
 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2005JanMar/0041.html
<Addison> any volunteers?


<Addison> > 2. Announcements (5 minutes)

WG Sign Ups:
<Addison> FY: sent in form at least 2 wks ago
<Addison> MD: endorsed the form
<Addison> (review of folks who are being pinged)
<Addison> Need to announce end of grace period
<Addison> ... and prod everyone to get act together
<Addison> MD: to check date of end of grace period
<Addison> ---
<Addison> AP: moving to QSFT
---
<Addison> RI: published CharMod: Fun as a REC today
<Addison> (and a very nice press release there was too)
<Addison> RI: talked to a reporter
<Addison> one "Paul Krill (sp?)"
<Addison> ---

3. Review Radar status report (10 minutes)
<Addison> http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews.html
<Addison> Semantic Inter. Language
<Addison> ATAG
<Addison> DIDPF
<Addison> recruiting is hampering us here

5. Language and Locale ID status report (5 minutes)
<Addison> Steve Ross-Talbot email
<Addison> WS-Internationalization and how it fits in
<Addison> (person to discuss WS internally with) to be at TP
<Addison> also: discussion with Jeremy et al
<Addison> ---

6. IDNA mess (25 minutes)

lists o'interest:
<Addison> unicode
<Addison> ietf
<Addison> winter
<Addison> look at Mark's response
<Addison> Paul Hoffman's blog is a better reply, IMO
<fyergeau> Better written, but doesn't solve anything
<Addison> agree
<Addison> (discussion) in depth discussion of the IDN/paypal bug and what W3C's response might be to same.

7. Bidi bug with <BR> element
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2005JanMar/0054.html
<Addison> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=137938
<fyergeau> With respect to bidirectional formatting, the BR element should 
behave the same way the [ISO10646] LINE SEPARATOR character behaves in the 
bidirectional algorithm.
<fyergeau> (from http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-BR)
<Addison> MD: talk to Michel and Microsoft about what IE actually does?
<Addison> need to look at more critically
<Addison> it appears that Mozilla is not only doing the right thing...
<Addison> but that the layout may, in fact, be logically correct too.
<Addison> FY: if the period were a comma...
<Addison> it would look right
<Addison> RI: UBA is doing the right thing for break
<Addison> It is only the example that "sucks"
<Addison> AP: write a response for review by list
* Addison zakim, [IBM] is Mary
* Zakim +Mary; got it
* fyergeau says bye all
* Addison by FY
<Zakim> -fyergeau
<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/articles/inline-bidi-markup/
<Addison> Need to get your AC Rep to respond by Monday

8. Email thread about encoding attribute
<Addison> RI: response on 'encoding'
<Addison> all: send any notes to Richard by morning :-)

> 
> Addison P. Phillips
> Director, Globalization Architecture
> http://www.webMethods.com
> 
> Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group
> http://www.w3.org/International
> 
> Internationalization is an architecture. 
> It is not a feature.
> 
Received on Wednesday, 16 February 2005 00:56:28 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:49 GMT