Re: Memo from ruby disucssion with Roland

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:29, Leif Halvard Silli <
xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:

> [...] And hopefully

most ruby out there are such single-column-major ruby? If authors have
> looked at what XHTML allows, then one should thing: yes.

I fear that is an optimistic assumption - rather than looking at XHTML I
suspect authors have pragmatically looked at what works in browsers. And
with IE having been the only browser with a <ruby> implementation for a
long time (not to mention market share), I suspect most content to target
that. But I admit I don't have hard data on this, either.

> Secondly: Since it is only a stylistic issue, then *do* Webkit or
> Firefox actually render the latter example in jukugo *style*? Doesn't
> look like so, to me — but note that I had not time to do a thorough
> check before posting this reply.

WebKit at least only has rudimentary support for ruby overhang and - by
extension - Jukugo rendering at the moment. There certainly is room for
improvement.

Cheers,

- Roland