RE: per-paragraph auto-direction, a.k.a. dir=uba

Hi.
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:34:08 -0700
> From: fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net
> To: adil@diwan.com
> CC: aharon@google.com; matial@il.ibm.com; addison@lab126.com; behdad@behdad.org; ehsan@mozilla.com; public-i18n-bidi@w3.org; public-i18n-bidi-request@w3.org; shachar@shemesh.biz
> Subject: Re: per-paragraph auto-direction, a.k.a. dir=uba
>
> On 09/23/2010 10:34 PM, Adil Allawi wrote:
>> On 15/09/2010 11:40, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if the plus logically appears before or after a phone
>>> number spelled in AN digits? Or is something other than the + used for
>>> the international prefix?
>>
>> Phone numbers written with Arabic numbers are ordered entirely left to
>> right, as if they are written with English numbers. Brackets, spaces and
>> hyphens "-" are also commonly used. This made producing my business card
>> an interesting challenge. Maybe we need a dir="phone_number" :)
>
> Why wouldn't that be dir=ltr?
>
> ~fantasai

I would think that it would be rtl or ltr depending on the characters used.

Hyphens, plusses, etc. would also be placed correctly -- though this is partly up to the writer not the algorithm.  (Hope this makes some sense.)

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com