RE: per-paragraph auto-direction, a.k.a. dir=uba

Hi.
> Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:15:17 -0700
> From: fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net
> To: aharon@google.com
> CC: public-i18n-bidi@w3.org; ehsan@mozilla.com; behdad@behdad.org; adil@diwan.com; shachar@shemesh.biz; addison@lab126.com
> Subject: Re: per-paragraph auto-direction, a.k.a. dir=uba
>
> On 09/14/2010 04:43 PM, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
>>> Browsers have to deal with incremental rendering,
>>> meaning that they start rendering a document before it has completely
>>> loaded. It does not make sense for bidi resolution of a block of text
>>> to change if an element happens to load in later.
>>
>> On the face of it, this seems to make any kind of dir=auto (not just
>> uba) difficult, since the first few descendant nodes received may not
>> contain decisive content.
>
> Right. But it's relatively rare to get tons of content without getting
> any decisive content, whereas it's relatively common to get e.g. a
>
> with inline content that suddenly contains a block-level element.

Hi, I think also that 63 -- as Ehsan and Fantasai have suggested -- is a good value for first strong directionality determination algorithms.
(I do not want values that would make processing a lot of input cumbersome . . . and Ehsan's arguments convinced me.)

Best,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com