Re: bidi list formatting (was meeting results - f2f on additional requirements for bidi in HTML)

> "left", "right", and "start" are perfectly clear

They may be clear, but they are inappropriate as direction values. Consider
"list-style-direction:start". What exactly is the start *direction*? Is
there a "direction:start" style? The "start" value has a meaning in the
context of a given direction, but it is never a direction itself. Same for
"left" and "right" (as opposed to "ltr" and "rtl".

Ok, you say, let's make it
list-style-marker-position:left|right|start|match-me. No good: we want this
to affect not just the marker's position, but the actual direction in which
the marker's content (e.g. "1.") will be displayed (is it "1." or ".1"?).

Thus, I say that it should stay as list-style-direction, but allow just two
values: “like-list” and “like-item”. The CSS initial value would be
like-item, but the default style sheet would set it to like-list on the root
element. Inheritance would then take over. To control the behavior of a
specific list element, the author would set it on that list element.

Aharon