bidi list formatting (was meeting results - f2f on additional requirements for bidi in HTML)

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 14:00:24 -0400
To: <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, <aharon@google.com>

From: Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin <aharon@google.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:25:53 +0300
> c. The CSS initial value will be “start”. However, to get markers to
> appear
> all on one side in most cases, the default style sheet will specify
> ":not(li)> ol, :not(li)> ul { list-style-direction:match-me;}". (The
> reason we can't change the CSS initial value is because list-style-
> direction
> is effectively 'start' according to CSS2.1, and this default behavior
> cannot
> be changed later. CSS2.1 will not change because there are use cases for
> the
> current behavior and we already have interop on it.)
> [Editor’s note: “left”, “right”, and “start” seem to be alignment values,
> not direction values. We are trying to deal with marker direction, which
> affects not only where the marker is going to be displayed, but the way
> the
> marker’s text will be displayed (e.g. where the period of an ordered
> marker
> goes). It therefore seems that this section needs to be redesigned.
> Perhaps
> the values should be simply “like-list” and “like-item”, with
> inheritance.]
Hi, Aharon, all:
"like-list" "like-item" are o.k. although "left", "right", and "start" are perfectly clear!
Maybe "left" "right" and "inherit-list"
A margin could be defined I think anytime you had something aligned with that margin.  So you might have one or two margins defined, depending on whether elements in a doc aligned with one or the other or both.
Thanks!
--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com