Re: Interesting blog post: GraphQL and REST

On 28 June 2015 at 22:54, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Sunday, June 28, 2015 9:44 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> by

> come

> JSON-LD and
> >>
> >> This seems to be a slightly negative piece towards facebook.
> >
> > I did not intend to be negative towards Facebook in general. I just
> > give some mild criticism to their recent practice (and not only their
> > practice, see Netflix and Falcor) to announce open source software
> > ahead of time.
>
> That's how I read it... and the interesting part isn't the first three
> paragraphs anyway :-)
>

> > Discussing something properly without having access to
> > the details is awkward, and I gave expression to that. It was not my
> > main point though. Glad to hear Facebook is good at sharing linked
> > data!
>
> >> To their credit, Facebook are pretty much the only system that give
> >> back 5 star linked data, via the open graph.
>
> Yep, no one critized that. I'm actually surprised that they didn't turn
> off that feature yet that was written by an intern (AFAIK) a couple of
> years ago and that is probably used very very few people.

Dont knock interns!  I use this feature, at least.Bradfitz at your company
google promised to have machine readable profiles in FOAF available.  That
still hasnt happened.  So a mere intern has created 1.4 billion linked data
profiles, where other companies have been left behind.  If you think
turning off a billion LD profiles is a good idea, id suggest you've not
really considered all the possibilities of unexpected reuse.

> >> In general, the JSON LD, Hydra etc. stuff doesnt do that, and that's
> >> not looking like changing anytime soon.
>
> What is JSON-LD and Hydra not doing?

Producing 5 star linked data for profiles, in the extended JSON LD / Hydra
eco systems.  If im wrong, can you point me to some, or even one?

> >> Should the query language be RESTful?  Probably yes, tho isnt this
> >> similar to using SPARQL over GET?
>
> A query language can't be "RESTful" but that's beside the point. The
> interface might, depending on how you look at it, look similar to SPARQL
> over GET.

OK, makes sense.  I probably didnt phrase that very well.  I was thinking
about quersies that go sparql?query=... with GET potentially being useful
(if long) URIs.