RE: Interesting blog post: GraphQL and REST

On Sunday, June 28, 2015 9:44 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> On Sunday, June 28, 2015 9:11 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> On 28 June 2015 at 18:50, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>>> I just stumbled across an interesting blog post about GraphQL and REST by
>>> Martijn. Some of you might be interested in reading it as well:
>>>
>>>   http://blog.startifact.com/posts/graphql-and-rest.html
>>>
>>> With JSON-LD, Hydra and Linked Data Fragments it should be possible to come
>>> up with something quite similar without having to expose an overly
>>> expressive query execution service on the server side.
>>>
>>> The key point here IMO is, however, that more and more people start to
>>> explore graphs without giving up a tree-structured data serialization
>>> client-side. This matches very well what we have been doing with JSON-LD and
>>> Hydra.
>>
>> This seems to be a slightly negative piece towards facebook.
>
> I did not intend to be negative towards Facebook in general. I just
> give some mild criticism to their recent practice (and not only their
> practice, see Netflix and Falcor) to announce open source software
> ahead of time.

That's how I read it... and the interesting part isn't the first three paragraphs anyway :-)

> Discussing something properly without having access to
> the details is awkward, and I gave expression to that. It was not my
> main point though. Glad to hear Facebook is good at sharing linked
> data!

>> To their credit, Facebook are pretty much the only system that give
>> back 5 star linked data, via the open graph.

Yep, no one critized that. I'm actually surprised that they didn't turn off that feature yet that was written by an intern (AFAIK) a couple of years ago and that is probably used very very few people.

>> In general, the JSON LD, Hydra etc. stuff doesnt do that, and that's
>> not looking like changing anytime soon.

What is JSON-LD and Hydra not doing?

>> Should the query language be RESTful?  Probably yes, tho isnt this
>> similar to using SPARQL over GET?

A query language can't be "RESTful" but that's beside the point. The interface might, depending on how you look at it, look similar to SPARQL over GET.

>> IMHO, it's not of great utility, to design a RESTful query language
>> using LD, Hydra and LDF, when then underlying profiles, are not 5 star
>> LD.

Sorry, I don't follow.

> PS Markus, glad you found it of interest!

I found it a very interesting read and analysis and am, just as you probably are, very curious how Facebook actually implemented Relay/GraphQL.