RE: Questions about new collection design

Hi Markus,

thanks for the response. Next time I talk triples in the first place :)

Am 25. Januar 2015 21:15:27 schrieb "Markus Lanthaler"
<markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>:

> Hi Dietrich,
>
> Taking this one and replying to more of the recent discussions tomorrow..
>
> On 25 Jan 2015 at 19:10, Dietrich Schulten wrote:
> > To illustrate the first problem to those of us who read triples more
> > easily, please consider the Collection with embedded members below:
> >
> > </alice> hydra:collection </alice/friends> .
> > </alice/friends> a hydra:Collection ;
> >     hydra:manages [
> >         hydra:property schema:knows ;
> >         hydra:subject </alice> .
> >     ] ;
> >     hydra:member </bob> ;
> >     hydra:member </zelda> .
> >
> > I hope I got the triples right :) This doesn't seem to say that
>
> That's correct
>

> > </alice> knows anyone at all. Not a problem?
>
> No, not really I'd say

I would have thought it is a problem even in RDF if the :knows assertion is
no longer there ;)

> > I understand why we do this. A property like foaf:knows which has
> > foaf:Person as range:
> >
> > </alice> foaf:knows </alice/friends>
> >
> > would mislead a reasoner to infer that /alice/friends is a foaf:Person
> > known by /alice, although it is a hydra:Collection, not a Person.
>
> Exactly
>

> > But is there a way to express that the above also entails
> >
> > </alice> foaf:knows </bob>
> > </alice> foaf:knows </zelda>
> >
> > ?
>
> Sure, just add those triples :-)

Yay, I'll gladly duplicate all members :o)

> It starts to make more sense if you split the collection into multiple pages.

Care to explain?

> We *could* also define "manages" in a way that would allow a reasoner to
> infer these triples automatically.

But for you that seems not necessary. I think I miss a piece in the puzzle
here.