RE: Questions about new collection design

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 21:14:20 +0100
To: <public-hydra@w3.org>
Hi Dietrich,

Taking this one and replying to more of the recent discussions tomorrow..

On 25 Jan 2015 at 19:10, Dietrich Schulten wrote:
> To illustrate the first problem to those of us who read triples more
> easily, please consider the Collection with embedded members below:
>
> </alice> hydra:collection </alice/friends> .
> </alice/friends> a hydra:Collection ;
>     hydra:manages [
>         hydra:property schema:knows ;
>         hydra:subject </alice> .
>     ] ;
>     hydra:member </bob> ;
>     hydra:member </zelda> .
>
> I hope I got the triples right :) This doesn't seem to say that

That's correct

> </alice> knows anyone at all. Not a problem?

No, not really I'd say

> I understand why we do this. A property like foaf:knows which has
> foaf:Person as range:
>
> </alice> foaf:knows </alice/friends>
>
> would mislead a reasoner to infer that /alice/friends is a foaf:Person
> known by /alice, although it is a hydra:Collection, not a Person.

Exactly

> But is there a way to express that the above also entails
>
> </alice> foaf:knows </bob>
> </alice> foaf:knows </zelda>
>
> ?

Sure, just add those triples :-) It starts to make more sense if you split the collection into multiple pages. We *could* also define "manages" in a way that would allow a reasoner to infer these triples automatically.