Re: remove hydra:Resource and hydra:Class

From: John Walker <john.walker@semaku.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:47:54 +0100 (CET)
To: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>, Dietrich Schulten <ds@escalon.de>
Cc: public-hydra@w3.org
Hi Ruben,

> On January 12, 2015 at 1:17 PM Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be> wrote:
>

> > But you see where this is heading. People will have to learn about owl and
> > rdfs before they can use hydra for their restful services.
>
> That can certainly not be the goal.
>
> This discussion is foremost about removing hydra:Resource and hydra:Class;
> those constructs are only used to build the ontology.
> People don't need them to describe an API.

I would disagree on that point for hydra:Class, for example in Markus' issue
tracker demo the API documentation [1] makes liberal use of it.
The implication being that all instances of these classes (i.e. the resources
served by the API) are dereferenceable.

> Let's maybe bring back the discussion to this point,

Exactly, what would it mean if all mentions of hydra:Class in this API
documentation were replaced by rdfs:Class or owl:Class?

> and we can talk about other properties elsewhere.
>
> Best,
>
> Ruben

John

[1] http://www.markus-lanthaler.com/hydra/api-demo/vocab