Re: DBpedia now available as triple pattern fragments

On 11/1/14 6:54 AM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
>> >Regarding the slow query time: I've noticed that the results are
>> >"dropping" in. If you do clever visualization this might not hurt as
>> >much because you can already start drawing and the user sees some
>> >progress happening. (How much sense this makes depends on the result
>> >format of course)
> That's a*very*  interesting remark, because it goes to the core of a new query paradigm.
> Indeed, because the query processing happens locally, results are streaming.
> So even though it might take some time until_all_  of the results are there,
> you can already start acting on_each_  of the results as soon as they arrive.
>
> So this means, with a SPARQL endpoint, the workflow is normally:
> - you ask, you wait, you do

Not with Virtuoso. And all SPARQL endpoints are not the same. You can
have a Virtuoso instance behave in this manner by not setting a timeout
 > 1000 milliseconds. If you set a timeout in Virtuoso it affects the
manner in which the SPARQL solution is prepared and serialized to the
user agent.

[1]
http://www.openlinksw.com/dataspace/oerling/weblog/Orri%20Erling%27s%20Blog/1494
-- 2008 post about Anytime Query Feture

[2]
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/doc/dav/wiki/Main/VirtTipsAndTricksAnytimeSPARQLQuery
-- Virtuoso Anytime Query Feature (most DBpedia user agents don't make
use of this functionality, for starters, but we do apply serve defaults
in an attempt to force its use)

[3]
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/doc/dav/wiki/Main/VOSArticleWebScaleRDF

--