RE: Hydra scope

On Friday, May 23, 2014 6:39 PM, Chris Chapman wrote:
> > Would you then also rename the properties "operation" and
> > "supportedOperation" to "action" and "supportedAction"?
> >

> Yes, I think so, actually, the more I think about it the more I think that
> supportedAction/supportedOperation looks like it's analogous to supportedProperty, when,
> in fact, they are talking about two different things. SupportedOperation is talking about
> HTTP operations the server supports, whereas supportedProperty is talking about properties
> acceptable for the rdf:Class. I think it would be wise to disambiguate the two, though I
> don't have a definitive idea of the best way to do that until we nail down Hydra's
> "centricity". Assuming that Hydra is more client centric, the possibilities that come to mind
> are:
>
> 1. Change supportedAction
> 2. Change supportedProperty
> 3. Drop the supported prefix for both words so that we have hydra:Property and
> hydra:Action. Then a hydra:Class would have "properties" and "actions", avoiding the
> whole "supported" ambiguity altogether.

You do realize that we have both "operation" and "supportedOperation" at the moment, right? "operation" is used to describe what operations are supported by that specific resource whereas "supportedOperation" allows to describe what operations are supported by all instances of the class it is used on (or all values of the property it is used on). In that sense, supportedProperties is consistent at it tells you what properties that server supports for instances of that class.

[...]

> > What things would you be interested in helping with?
>
> Having a hypermedia-driven read-write API built on linked data (especially JSON-LD) is a
> high priority for us right now.

Good to know. Please keep us posted on your progress.

> We're happy helping out with whatever you need help with,
> though we see our greatest abilities right now as helping out with the spec and building a
> showcase using Scala on the server with a JavaScript client, using a simple domain from
> schema.org. We could do a simple blog engine or event management system, whichever you
> think is best.

That would be great. I personally find the event management API more interesting as it can be extended in multiple directions (buying tickets, rating events, etc.). Having tools for Scala and a JavaScript client library would also be awesome. Let us know when you set up the projects on GitHub or anywhere else.. perhaps there are people on this list which might want to contribute.

Thanks,