Re: Reconciling hydra rest semantics for collections with typical RDF entity relationships

On Feb 4, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 2/4/14 1:26 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> This is a general problem of RDF. AFAICT, there's no way general way to
>> solve this issue for sets. If you would use a list, you could at least use
>> the list's head node (which generally is a blank node). Remember our
>> discussions in the JSON-LD group?
>>
>> Both Schema.org with its ItemList and Hydra with its Collection take a
>> rather pragmatic approach. We could of course go ahead and define a
>> Collection's semantics so that
>
> I assume you've looked at RDF Schema vocabulary which does describe RDF Collections [1] and Containers [2].

I believe Markus' was referring to RDF Collections when he said "list". Of course, a big problem with collections is the navigation cost in RDF, and you can't really chain lists together, presuming that they're conformant BNode-type lists. You also can't refer to such a list, as it also must start with a BNode (to be conformant, not from a vocabulary perspective).

Containers don't work well for a remote list of values, as they use a separate statement for each value, and you can't refer to an external container holding such values.

Another vocabulary to consider is the Ordered List Ontology [3].

Gregg

[3] http://smiy.sourceforge.net/olo/spec/orderedlistontology.html