Re: relate a Collection and a PagedCollection

On Apr 27, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 4/25/14 1:29 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> Yeah. I agree. Let me convert this to JSON-LD because I think that will be
>> easier for a lot of people on this list to understand and evaluate. Here's
>> Gregg's Turtle converted 1:1, the first page is the "central" resource:
>>
>>   {
>>     "@id": "/collection",
>>     "@type": "Page(dCollection)",
>>     "member": [ "1", "2", "..." ],
>>     "nextPage": /collection?page=2",
>>     "pageOf": {
>>       "@id": "/collection#dataset",
>>       "@type": "Collection",
>>       "totalItems": 243,
>>       "itemsPerPage": 10,
>>       "firstPage": "/collection",
>>       "lastPage": "/collection?page=24"
>>     }
>>   }
>
> Converting to JSON-LD when discussing semantics is back to front. At the very least print JSON-LD and Turtle if you want many eyes to look at your examples. I thought we established this practice a while ago.
>
> JSON-LD (like RDF/XML) obscures entity relation semantics.

In fairness, Markus was providing an alternative to the Turtle which was given earlier in the message stream. I think, given the subject of this list, that some people may be more comfortable with JSON-LD, and it may better reflect actual message content, as it's not always clear what the HTTP body boundaries are with Turtle. My original Turtle follows:

</collection> a hydra:PagedCollection;
 hydra:member <1>, <2>, ...;
 hydra:nextPage </collection?page=2>;
 hydra:pageOf </collection#dataset> .
<collection#dataset> a hydra:Collection;
 hydra:totalItems 243;
 hydra:itemsPerPage 10;
 hydra:firstPage </collection>;
 hydra:lastPage </collection?page=24> .

While I also prefer Turtle when talking about the model, I can't say I really see how the JSON-LD obscures the ER semantics, given the properties used in the Hydra vocabulary are implicit in this conversation.

Gregg