RE: HTML-a11y TF minutes for 10/09/2014

Steve Faulkner wrote:

> This is an incorrect, uninformed and inflammatory statement.
> There is absolutely nothing in the current draft that 'contradicts
> longdesc' whatever that may mean.
> What is 'bad and damaging' is W3C staff members making such
> statements.

Hi Steve,

As scribe of record: my notes may not completely capture the 'esprit' of
Liam's statement.

Currently there is no mention of @longdesc as a means or valid method of
providing textual alternatives to images in the document.

Given the pending decision from the Director w.r.t. the FO on longdesc, Liam
was (as I heard and understood) expressing a concern over advancing a document
that may either be extraordinarily quickly out of date, or contradictory to
the 'reality' as we know it today. From that perspective, it could indeed
appear "damaging" to the proposed Extension Spec before the Director, and/or
to the TF's (and by extension WG's) credibility, not to mention offering
contradictory advise to those who have not followed the machinations of this
entire saga. The over-arching point that was being expressed on the call - as
I heard it - was that one of the Chairs wants to see progress, and members of
the TF want to wait for the Directors decision on longdesc, to ensure the
document is both complete and accurate.

It was not, and was never intended to be, a slight against the document or you
as editor Steve - in fact your contributions and effort were again praised and
noted on the call, if not captured in the minutes - my bad there.

JF