Re: should HTML have a <heading> element?

I feel this:

conversely:
<section />
<section />
<section />
<section />
<section />
<section />
<h1>

Is a terrible way of handling headings by the algorithm.
If anything, that last heading should be an <h1>, or an <h2> (with a
missing <h1> at the top).
Sections are just that, sections, but the <h1> is a direct descendant of
the body. Headings inside the sections are not and are therefore
sub-headings in the document outline (or should be).

I'm very much in favour of a <heading> (and <subheading>) element and let
the algorithm decide the best structure.

Right now I have to resort to all <h1>'s in every sectioning element, as I
work in a CMS and one of the downsides is that blocks in a CMS can be
re-used in different place / contexts. Example: an <aside> in the main
content has a different meaning than an <aside> in a sidebar, but they can
still be the same element. Falling back to an <h1> inside the <aside>
prevents broken outlines in different contexts for me.

TL;DR: current headings (<h1> - <h6>) are a legacy from when web was not
much more then digital print. Let's move forward and be more generic and
dynamic about it.