Re: Validity constraints on <section>

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 11:58:38 +0100, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi bruce

Hi Bruce,

glad to see the true sexy-master has entered the division...

>> I once asked this (or something like it). I was told we shouldn't, as a
>> site might Ajax in a heading and some text.
>
> the possible addition of content via scripting could be a reason for
> allowing a number of currently non conforming markup patterns

I would go the other way around. If you have an interim template that is
invalid, that's no big deal. When you have scrubbed it all and got
something clean, which is what you show to the user, it should be valid.

"Disallowing" something means declaring that it is not valid HTML. It
isn't like it stops many people from doing it, it just provides a guide to
those who care about what they are doing, and want some help to get it
right.

People who know how to ajax in the magic they need are presumably capable
of determining whether the final result is valid on their own. So if an
intermediate step is invalid they probably decided they could live with
that, or their tools could, or they couldn't care less - in other words
the validity constraint there isn't important to them.

Cheers

Chaals