Re: Google and MPEG LA Announce Agreement Covering VP8 Video Format

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 17:26:35 -0500
To: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>
On 03/08/2013 05:10 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>     On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Steve Faulkner
>     <faulkner.steve@gmail.com <mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com>> wrote:
>         Does this mean we should revisit the requirement for a
>         supported video format in HTML?
>         http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130307006192/en/Google-MPEG-LA-Announce-Agreement-Covering-VP8
> I support a move towards specifying VP8 as the baseline video codec for

Just so we are clear, what you are proposing is doing this in which
version of HTML?

Prior history on this:

I don't believe that this issue needs to be reopened if you are talking
about 5.1, but would be if we are talking about 5.0.

Either way (5.0 or 5.1), I would suggest informally evaluating whether
or not such a change could conceivably meet the defined exit criteria[1]
in the time frame specified before proceeding.

- Sam Ruby