Re: revisiting <hgroup> in HTML

From: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 22:43:59 -0000
To: public-html@w3.org
On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 14:43:23 -0000, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:

>> My questions include:
>> If we want to provide a subheading feature why not do so in a way that
>> the semantics are clearly provided to any user that could consume them?
>
> If we want to cater for subheadings we should introduce something like
> <subheading> element. Such element should be allowed only as next
> sibling to h1-h6 or another subheading. Or if new element is too much,
> we can introduce role="subheading".

I've proposed such solution a while ago (I picked hsub as the name, but it
could be anything like subheading, tagline, tinyheaderliketextbit)

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/hSub

I think it fulfils all reasonable use-cases of hgroup quite well
(including subtitle before the heading) and has added advantage of being
backwards compatible, easier to implement (doesn't complicate the outline
algorithm) and doesn't restrict styling possibilities.

I can't find the exact email with the decision about this proposal, but
since it isn't in the spec yet, it hasn't succeeded last time :)

regards, Kornel